Finally! An old friend visited me in a new town. It’s been two years since Scowby and I have hung out in person. That’s ridiculous.
People who actually enjoy my enthusiastic tour of the international grocery store…which includes a meander by the net-your-own-oyster tanks and a stop by the section of the butcher reserved for foodies who don’t get squeamish…should visit more often.
People who like shredded coconut and dark chocolate chunks in cookies are my kind of people.
Two nights before my friend arrived I made these cookies on a whim. I had eggs, butter, vanilla, oats, dark chocolate and coconut. I took exactly zero photos of the first batch. My husband and I ate them.
I made the second batch the day Scowby arrived. I wondered if she liked coconut while they baked. I took no photos of the second batch. Scowby and I ate them. She loves coconut…like LUV loves.
I reminded myself that you gotta know these things about your friends…like whether or not coconut in a cookie sounds awesome or awful. These things are important.
You might need to bake cookies one morning when your friend is arriving and the Pacific Northwest sky is looking kinda rude, dingy.
Fresh baked cookies say, “It may be rainy but we have food, totally happy Happy Hours which usually involve small snacks and a powerful international grocery store (check out the tripe!). Plus the sunny days are beyond beautiful.”
I made a third batch. Photos accomplished. My husband and I made them into chipwiches with homemade peanut butter ice cream. They were ridiculous.
*I owe you a post about peanut butter ice cream.
Sorry Scowby! You were already back in the land of excellent bourbon by then. But I’m naming this cookie after you.
Come on back for the chipwich. We’ll roll them in rainbow sprinkles or…even better…toasted coconut.
Recipe: scowby snacks
Summary: Buttery cookies with shredded coconut, oats and dark chocolate chunks.
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer cream the butter with the sugar and brown sugar until fluffy and light colored.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat to blend.
- Fold in the flour, soda, salt mixture until just incorporated.
- Fold in the oats, chocolate and shredded coconut until blended.
- Scoop batter with a spoon or scooper onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Cookies should be slightly dark at edges and slightly soft in the middle when they are done.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
Preparation time: 22 minute(s)
Cooking time: 11 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Copyright © fatpiginthemarket.
Recipe by fat pig.
Microformatting by hRecipe.