I’m ready for sunshot skies and fluffy flowers. Springtime, get here!
I have many mini cupcakes sweetened with deep, molasses-rich Dark Muscovado sugar.
Muscovado Mini Cupcakes with Grapefruit Ginger Icing is one of the first recipes in my new recipe-scribbling, brainstormin’, black bear notebook.
I have many mini muscovado cupcakes less three (or seven). Three (or so) is the number of mini muscovado, coconut milk cupcakes dolloped with grapefruit, ginger, cream cheese frosting that one needs to eat in order to definitively decide that they are good.
Good enough to oink about. Good enough to tempt the sun.
All for you, Springtime, because you are on the way here…right? Good!
Summary: Fluffy mini cupcakes sweetened with molasses-rich Muscovado sugar and iced with bright grapefruit, ginger, cream cheese frosting.
for the mini cupcakes:
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 Tablespoons (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup dark Muscovado sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 large egg
for the icing:
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- one mini muffin baking tin for 20 muffins
- cupcake liners
for the cupcakes:
- Line your mini muffin tray with paper cupcakes wrappers.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl beat the softened butter and dark muscovado sugar together on high speed until the mixture is fluffy and has lightened in color a bit approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and coconut milk to the butter and sugar mixture and beat well to combine for about 1 minute.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt) gently until just combined.
- Spoon into lined mini cupcake tray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 16 minutes. Cakes should be springy to touch and a toothpick inserted into the center of one should come out clean.
for the icing:
- Mix grapefruit juice and minced ginger together in a small bowl.
- Beat softened cream cheese and grapefruit ginger mixture together in a medium bowl, on high speed to combine.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and beat on high speed until mixed well and fluffy.
- Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes to make it easier to work with. Or don’t and just dollop it on the cupcakes and consume!
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 16 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)