What’s up? Whisky is what. Let’s douse something in Kentucky bourbon.
Get on your Maker’s Mark.
You need bourbon, pecans, dark Muscovado sugar, butter (of course) and salt for this bourbon-tinged midweek moment.
The hardest part of making Maker’s Glazed Pecans is trying not to eat them while they cool from a warm, gooey state and get set into glazed chunks of slightly salty sin.
Whisky Glazed Pecans are quietly sweet, softly crunchy with a snap of salt. The whole nutty experience is underlined by the mellow caramel of Maker’s Mark. They contrast well against bitter greens like arugula. One of my favorite salads includes arugula, whisky glazed pecans and crumbled blue cheese dressed with a simple vinaigrette of fresh lemon juice, minced shallots, olive oil and salt.
Whisky Glazed Pecans on top of pure vanilla bean ice cream…I expect that needs no further explanation.
They disappear quickly if you sit around eating them so you can best describe their flavor on an oinking blog. My commitment to wooing you with snacks on Wednesdays is fierce.
Recipe: Whisky Glazed Pecans
Summary: Pecans glazed in butter, bourbon, dark Muscovado sugar and salt. Quietly sweet, softly crunchy with a spark of salt and the caramel undertone of mellow Maker’s Mark.
- 2 Tablespoons dark Muscovado sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons Maker’s Mark bourbon whisky
- 1 cup raw pecan halves
- Whisk the dark Muscovado sugar and the salt together in a medium bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Toast the pecans over medium-high heat in a medium pan until they darken a bit and smell toasty. Stir frequently during this process. Approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Scoop the toasted pecans onto a plate and set aside.
- Adjust the heat to low and let the pan adjust.
- Add butter and let slowly melt over low heat.
- Add the sugar/salt mixture to the melted butter and stir well over low heat until the sugar is melted. Approx. 30-45 seconds.
- Add the pecans and stir to coat.
- Add the whisky. It’ll sizzle a bit. Stir well over medium heat until the pecans are well coated and look shiny. Remove from heat.
- Empty pecans onto a tray lined with wax paper or into a stainless prep bowl (my preference…I use the same one that I whisk the sugar and salt in).
- Allow to cool for approx. 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle on salads, ice cream or enjoy your Whisky Glazed Pecans straight up.
Preparation time: 30-35 minute(s) – includes prep, cooking and cooling time
Cooking time: 7 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4 topping size servings or 2 can’t stop snacking portions
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Copyright © fatpiginthemarket. Recipe by fat pig. Microformatting by hRecipe.