These mini Matcha Orange Muffins with Matcha Cream Cheese Frosting are my sister’s fault. And there are too many matchas in that name so I’m switching to Green Goblins. It’s the witching season after all.
Yesterday I loitered in the seasonal aisle of the drugstore thinking about my sister and the color green. I could hear the teenage artsy-punk version of me saying, “Halloween is the BEST time to shop for nail polish, right?”
My sister is pawing through the two for 99 cents bin as she says, “BEST!” Her spikey, burgundy hair swooshes around a bit as she nods. Then she unearths the most excellent, punky green nail polish ever.
Green like matcha.
Matcha is a high quality, fine-milled, Japanese green tea powder which comes in different grades from culinary to ceremonial. Matcha is high-falutin’…as in kinda pricey. I used a culinary grade which cost about $8.00 for one ounce from Uwajimaya. An ounce is enough to make a squadron of Green Goblins and experiment with lattes, cookies, ice creams. Treat yourself to some trickery.
Matcha infuses these muffins with the earthiness of green tea and Valencia orange brings a sweet, clean, citrus contrast. The luscious cream cheese frosting starts off sweet and has a distinct tea finish.
I listened to The Psychedelic Furs while experimenting with matcha and winding up with Green Goblins. My sister and I went to a Psychedlic Furs concert back when someone’s mother had to give us a ride to the venue…back when we rocked cut-up vintage dresses, pointy-toed shoes and cat-eye kohl….back when we shopped the after-Halloween sales and found fashion.
Summary: Earthy green tea muffins with an orange kick and sweet, green tea frosting
Ingredients for muffins
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon matcha powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole yogurt *I used Fage
- 1 Tablespoon fresh orange zest * I used a Valencia orange
- 1/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
Ingredients for frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons matcha powder
Instructions for muffins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line mini muffin tray with papers.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and matcha powder together and set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg and vanilla together till light and creamy.
- Add yogurt and mix to incorporate. *Don’t stress if this mixture looks curdled. It’ll work out.
- Add orange zest and orange juice and mix to incorporate.
- Add half the flour, matcha mixture you set aside earlier and fold to blend.
- Add remaining flour mixture and fold until just blended.
- Spoon batter into lined, mini muffin tray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 16-19 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.
Instructions for frosting
- Beat the cream cheese, confectioner’s sugar and vanilla together until smooth and creamy with a little body.
- Add matcha powder and blend thoroughly.
- Frost muffins using a piping bag and tip or a small spatula or the back of a spoon.
- This recipe makes 20 mini Green Goblins
If you don’t have a piping bag and tips you can always use a plastic baggie. Snip the corner off the bag and you’ll have a makeshift piping tool.
These muffins are also good without the icing.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 16 minute(s)
Copyright © fatpiginthemarket.
Recipe by fat pig.
Microformatting by hRecipe.