I’d call this a ladylike lunch but considering the zeal with which I consumed this Golden Beet Crème Fraiche Salad, Wolf Snack might be more accurate. At least I set out flowers and a tablecloth.
p.s. I believe in the beauty of rumpled linens.
This dish is NOT a quiet side of sad veggies waiting like a wallflower for a little attention.
Thinly sliced, raw beets are sharpened by a lemon shallot vinaigrette and soothed by the calm cool of crème fraiche in this simple salad. I wolfed down a whole plate of Golden Beet Crème Fraiche Salad and called it lunch.
A few simply prepared ingredients create a play of flavors and textures that makes you want more. Finely minced shallots sharpen up the earthy sweetness of golden beets. A sweep through luscious crème fraiche calms that high note down. Raw walnuts underline a smooth earthiness. And fresh lemon juice brings on citrus clarity.
I’m tempted to compare the addictive crunchiness of raw beets to the heaven-sent crackle of Doritos. Sliced raw beets are crunchy with just the slightest veggie give at the finish. Okay…they’re not as crunchy as Doritos but beets of all colors are good (and good for you).
I’m also tempted to paint a wall this color and name it Pavlovian Gold. Living with it will make me fierce, hungry, instinctive. It’ll be a lair, a den. Call it home.
Home is here where I howl at night lights…
and hunt sunstruck streets
Home is my weightless heart, gone loopy, drawing on the sky.
Happy Anniversary, Mr. Bacon! You are my home.
Summary: Crisp, thinly sliced, raw golden beet salad with a sharp, citrusy shallot vinaigrette, walnuts and a dollop of soothing creme fraiche.
- 1 Golden Beet
- 2 Tablspoons shallot, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste *I use about five or six turns from a grinder
- 1 cup of creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- small handful of fresh dill sprigs
- Scrub and peel the beet.
- Cut the beet in half then thinly slice each half into half-moon slivers. *Use a mandolin if you have one. The salad pictured here was sliced with a knife.
- Place sliced beets in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the minced shallot, lemon juice, salt. Whisk well with a fork to combine.
- Add freshly ground pepper and whisk briefly. Taste and adjust to your liking. *Note: the dressing is very sharp on its own at this stage. The olive oil, beets and crème fraiche will mellow it out.
- Add the olive oil and whisk well for 30 seconds or so till well combined.
- Pour the dressing onto the thinly sliced golden beets and toss to coat evenly.
- Swoosh two generous dollops of crème fraiche onto each serving plate.
- Pile the dressed beets on top of the crème fraiche.
- Sprinkle raw walnuts on top.
- Garnish with fresh dill sprigs.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © fatpiginthemarket.
Recipe by fat pig.
Microformatting by hRecipe.