It’s gotten hot out, right? Time to cool down with some Cucumber Lemonade.
This version of lemonade is uber cucumbery and slightly lemony. I went heavy on the cucumber because I really like cucumber. If you want the lemon to have more say in the matter then add more lemon juice. Mine happened like this:
A bunch of summery ingredients decided to play Red Rover.
Heavy Sugar, Seltzer and the Lemons shouted out, “Send Cucumber over.”
The Lemon twins were like, “We got this.”
Cucumber took a vegetal charge at the Lemons.
I dig this super cucumbery version of lemonade. My recipe will give you leftover Heavy Sugar so you can experiment with more or less cucumber. Heavy Sugar is nice to have around for summertime drink-making. It’ll keep for a few days in the fridge. Heck you can leave the cucumber out altogether if cucumber doesn’t thrill ya.
Or juice up limes, oranges, berries, herbs. Think mint, basil, rosemary. Make your version of a summer cooler. Adult the whole thing up with vodka if you like. Be generous with ice. Stir well. Swizzle. Imbibe.
Pop a paper umbrella in your Cucumber Lemonade. Make it a vacation.
Even if you’re sweltering in the city you can imagine a beach, a breeze, a view.
Now we have a refreshing reason to get steamy all over again. Happy cucumbery summer!
Description: Super cucumbery and slightly lemoned up ade.A refreshing, bright, icy beverage. Add a paper umbrella for vacation vibe. Heavy Sugar, lemon juice and cucumber juice mixed to taste so you can easily adjust to suit your whim.
Ingredients for Heavy Sugar aka simple syrup:
- one cup sugar
- one cup water
Ingredients for cucumber lemon juice:
- one large cucumber
- two lemons
Additional ingredients and tools for making Cucumber Lemonade:
- seltzer or still water
- ice cubes
- large glasses *I used 12 ounce glasses
- blender or food processor
- fine sieve to strain cucumber juice
- little paper umbrellas
Instructions for making Heavy Sugar (or simple syrup):
- In a saucepan boil the water.
- Add sugar and reduce to simmer. Stir until sugar dissolves then immediately remove from heat. Approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour heavy sugar into a sealable jar and place in fridge to cool thoroughly for about 30-45 minutes.
Instructions for making cucumber lemon juice:
- Peel the cucumber and cut it in half.
- Cut each of those halves in half…lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Puree cucumber in a food processor or blender until liquefied.
- Add juice from two freshly squeezed lemons. Blend well.
- Press pureed cucumber and lemon juice mixture through a fine sieve.
- *Strain again if you want less pulp.
How to mix a Cucumber Lemonade:
- Fill a 12 ounce glass about 3/4 full with ice cubes (approx. 1 cup).
- Add 1 1/2 ounces (or 3 Tablespoons) of Heavy Sugar.
- Add 2 ounces (or 4 Tablespoons) of cucumber-lemon juice.
- Fill glass with seltzer or water. Stir well.
This recipe will yield enough cucumber-lemon juice to make four large Cucumber Lemonades. You’ll have leftover Heavy Sugar for your own summer drink experiments. Store the heavy sugar in a sealed container in the fridge. It will keep for approximately 3-4 days.
recipe by fatpiginthemarket