I keep making this Carrot Garam Masala Soup for girls’ night hang outs.
Girls’ Night should probably be called Early Evening Chick Chat or something like that because these events always seem to get started in the afternoon.
Maybe it’s the vibrant orange color of this soup that suits a get-together. Maybe we just need something in our bellies since we’re gonna drink some wine and get passionate about life and Project Runway.
Carrot Garam Masala Soup is slightly carrot-sweet and quietly rich without being overwhelming or heavy. Garam Masala is an Indian spice mix which varies by region but typically includes black and white peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, black and white cumin seeds and black, brown and green cardamom pods. Garam Masala is clear and intense yet balanced. It gives this simple carrot concoction a fragrant and flavorful twist. A final, gentle addition of heavy cream lays in the plush comfort.
Carrot Garam Masala Soup stores well in an airtight container in the fridge which means it can be made ahead of time. That’s what I do. A few minutes over low heat and a gentle stir is all it needs before being served.
Add a chilly glass of white wine and someone cool to talk to about winter boots, art, life and the elusive pursuit of a totally hooked up (and hemmed properly…in my brief case) wardrobe. Enjoy!
Recipe: Carrot Garam Masala Soup
Summary: A vibrant, comforting carrot soup spiced with garam masala and finished with cream.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1/2 Tablespoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup white wine (use a light, citrusy wine)
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- kosher salt to taste
- Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add shallots and garam masala. Heat the shallots slowly and over low heat stirring occasionally until they begin to caramelize slightly approx. 25 minutes. Don’t waste time over stirring just mix the shallots around a bit every once in a while. They need to sizzle in place to get going so let it happen.
- Add the white wine and give everything a good stir.
- Add the carrots and chicken stock. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil then immediately reduce to simmer. Simmer uncovered for 35-40 minutes. The carrots should be fork tender.
- Transfer to a blender and puree. Be careful…the soup will be hot!
- Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and add cream. Stir gently to combine over low heat for a few minutes until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Serve and enjoy!
This soup stores well in an airtight container in the fridge and can be made ahead of time then gently reheated over low heat. *This makes it a good choice for a party!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2
Copyright © fatpiginthemarket. Recipe by fat pig. Microformatting by hRecipe