The handwritten recipe for this Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon made a cameo appearance on fat pig in the market in the very first post about one year ago.
I work out recipes in little, lined-paper notebooks and in sketchpads. I map out ideas and order prep lists alongside wandering pen swirls, plans for planters and lists of clothing items that would make the perfect wardrobe.
All the jeans in my fantasy wardrobe are hemmed perfectly. My dream wardrobe is solid.
I make Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon for dinner parties and special occasions because it tastes sinful. Indulgent. And it’s pretty. The butternut squash gives this soup its vibrant color and lush, silky texture. Crisp slivers of slab bacon add pops of crunchiness and salt.
If your perfectly chic jeans are hemmed perfectly then you’re ready to get the party season started. Well…you have the first course.
And you probably need a top.
Recipe: butternut squash soup with bacon
Summary: Butternut squash gives this soup its vibrant color and silky texture. Slivers of bacon add crunchiness and salt.
- 3 pieces of slab bacon
- 1 stalk celery, chopped finely
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white onion, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 cups water or chicken stock
- 4-5 branches of thyme
- 1 stalk of rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-2 additional Tablespoon of heavy cream for swirls
- Fry the bacon in the same pot that you’ll use to make the soup. Make it crisp!
- Remove the cooked bacon from the pot and set aside to cool. I blot the bacon immediately and then let it cool.
- Keep some bacon grease in the pot…about 1 1/2 Tablespoons. Just eyeball it. You want enough to saute the celery, garlic and onion.
- Add the celery, minced garlic and onion to the pot and let simmer stirring occasionally for 8 minutes. Get it all well-acquainted.
- Peel the garlic cloves and smash them each once to break them up a bit.
- Add the smashed garlic, butternut squash and water or stock to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Tie the thyme and rosemary together with cooking string (or just throw the stalks in loose) and add this bouquet garni to the pot.
- Simmer uncovered until a fork easily pierces the butternut squash. Approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove the thyme and rosemary and discard.
- Puree the soup in batches and return to the pot once it is smooth. The heat should be off but the pot will still have enough heat to keep the soup warm while you finish it.
- Season with cumin, allspice and salt.
- Stir in the butter until it melts.
- Stir in the heavy cream until mixed well.
- Chop the bacon into slivers.
- Serve with a drizzle of heavy cream and a sprinkle of bacon.
You can use a skewer or toothpick to make the swirl of cream pretty. Think like a barista!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 32 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Copyright © fatpiginthemarket.
Recipe by fat pig.
Microformatting by hRecipe.